Mike Lightning Lee: Proper Challenge 2016 (Oakland, California)
Jumping Rope For Cardio
Jumping rope is great cardio for warming up the body, and burning calories. I recommend jumping rope for about 10 minutes before getting into your work out. This has been a traditional practice for boxers and fighters for over 100 years. I conducted a survey from a mixed group of athletes and non-athletes that showed more people preferred jumping rope over sprinting or distance running. Beginning level jumpers need constant practice and repetition in order to make a transition into a intermediate and advance jumper. I would also encourage advanced jumper’s to step it up a notch and try using a Training Mask to help develop more endurance.
Here are five main benefits to using a jump rope:
- Affordability– Jump ropes are very affordable (much cheaper than treadmills lol). They cost somewhere around $10 and they can be found at most sports department stores.
- Portability– Jump ropes can be easily transported and don’t take up much space to store or use.
- Improved Coordination– Jumping rope is a exercise that develops coordination because it requires a rhythmic flow of movement.
- Strength Gains– Jumping rope builds strength in the lungs and lower body. This also increases bone density which results in stronger bones.
- Fat Loss– Jumping rope is great cardio for losing weight because it is a exercise that requires movement from nearly every muscle in the body.
As I mentioned above there are three levels of jump roping: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. I have put together a list of reference points and requirements to meet for each level of jumping rope.
- Beginner: Able to develop a rhythmic jump that flows at least 30 second without reset. Jumping in intervals of 2 minutes for a duration of 10 minutes.
- Intermediate: Skills require being able to cross the rope and breaking rhythm (switch feet, pace, etc.)
- Advanced: To be at the top of your jump rope game you should be able to move around and cross feet while jumping. Advanced people can also do double under jumps, which is when you spin the rope twice in one jump.
7 Healthy Nutrients To Help Lose Fat
One of the most important factors to living a healthy lifestyle is maintaining a healthy diet. If your goal is to fight fat and lose weight then it is crucial that you start working from the inside-out! “You are what you eat” is a true statement. When I decided to lose weight after I finished playing college football I had to change the way I ate. Once I started adding more healthy foods to my diet the results that I wanted came right away!
Here are some healthy sources of nutrients that will boost your metabolism and help you lose weight:
Increasing your water consumption will increase the rate that you burn calories. After drinking approximately 17 oz of water, the body’s metabolic rate will increase by 30%. Everyone should be drinking at least eight glasses of water a day.
Blueberries contain antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium and magnesium. Blueberries will detoxify your body, which will also decrease your fat storage. The copper and fiber content also increase fat burning. A half-cup of blueberries is only about 40 calories.
3. Chia Seeds
Chia seeds contain protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber. Adding chia to your diet will suppress your appetite and boost your metabolism. I personally recommend drinking chia seeds with water or fruit smoothies.
Eggs are an excellent source of complete protein that contains all of the essential amino acids that your body needs. Eggs are also low in calories, which range from 70-90 calories depending how they are cooked.
Coconut oil is one of the best sources of fat to consume for weight loss. Coconut oil is rich in medium chain triglycerides, which the body uses for energy expenditure. Therefore, less of the triglycerides are being stored as fat. Adding coconut oil to your diet will assist in losing fat especially around the abdominal cavity.
Avocado is high in monounsaturated fats and also a good source of fiber. There are two main benefits from eating avocados. Avocados will lower your cholesterol level. They also help reducing belly fat because monounsaturated fats prevent the body from distributing abdominal fat.
Almonds are rich in vitamin E, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Almonds are also a good source of protein and fiber. The protein content in the nuts will keep you feeling full so that you won’t always have a urge to overeat. Almonds will also block your body’s absorption of calories, which will result in weight loss.